Queens Daily Photo

A Photo Blog of the NYC Borough of Queens.

30 November, 2006

East of Queens

Recently, I was visiting some family in Long Island (the remainder of the island East of Queens and Brooklyn) and while looking for a bank I came acrosss this remarkable feature photographed above. It is a drive through ATM. You can actually go to the ATM without having to get out of your car! I was so fascinated by this I kept pressing on the buttons that allowed for car adjustment until the people behind us started getting irritated. I guess if in NYC you can get anything you want without having to leave your home, then in suburbia you can get anything you want without having to leave your car.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to tell you but drive through ATMS have been around forever! At least 15 years.

Is this the first time you've seen one????

30 November, 2006 17:22  
Blogger magikthrill said...

Yes! I guess I'm behind on my suburbia trivia but I still find them very fascinating :)

30 November, 2006 20:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up on 78th St near Ditmars. Things are different when you leave NYC. I have not waited in line for a teller in over 26 years (for instance).

(I never figured out the Steinway vs Astoria thing either.)

22 December, 2006 14:32  
Blogger annulla said...

According to Info Please, ATMs were invented in the 1960s and have been common since the mid-70s - about 30 years ago.

06 January, 2007 09:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is a drive through atm in flushing on main street and 71st, been there for years

05 July, 2007 23:22  
Blogger Bob Crowe said...

Hey, these things are all over the country! Out here in the heartland people don't usually walk to the bank - people drive everywhere (one of the reasons that the average New Yorker is thinner than much of the rest of the country).

I'm a Queens boy myself - 41st St. and Skillman Ave. in Sunnyside, the exact same block Ming the Merciless lives on now. Went to college in St. Louis and stayed.

I'll be back to revisit my old borough.

05 November, 2008 20:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home